Thursday, March 31, 2011

Needed: A Few Strong Men

I have an ancient upright piano that I love dearly. Ancient as in 1902 and hundreds of pounds. My poor piano has been somewhat abused from being moved (I think it's now a curse word in my family) around and has lost a caster.  This makes moving it very difficult and cumbersome, not to mention that it's a little difficult playing a tilted piano.  So, I thought I would replace the caster because I've been thinking about it for awhile.  I wasn't sure how I was going to do this, seeing as how the piano is ridiculously heavy, and there was no way I was going to be able to unscrew and screw back in the caster. I thought maybe I could just jack up the piano? You know, like a car. I could figure out how to hold the other two wheels on the side in place and *poof* piano goodness.

Just for the sake of it, and seeing as how I'm no professional, I decided to google how to fix piano casters.  I found an excellent site that was even very humorous about the whole thing.  But then I laughed out loud and stopped reading at the first direction:

1. Lay the upright piano gently on the floor.

With me and what army? That is SO not going to happen.

No comments: