Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Locks of the Loch

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Today we took a bus to the village of Fort Augustus. Actually, we took a bus to the village of Invergarry and then waited an hour, and then caught the bus back to Fort Augustus. Yep, that's right. We missed our stop. Who knew? They just stop and drive and expect you to know when to get off. I'd been been paying attention, but didn't see any signs for the town until we were just past it. We were only seven miles away, but there was no footpath to walk, and it was in a very woody area, so we chose to wait 50 minutes for the bus. Then, I had to explain to the bus driver that we were stupid Americans and had missed our stop and please could we ride for free back? He was very sympathetic to our cause. Here is our bus stop in the middle of nowhere.



When we finally got to Fort Augustus, we went to a shop called Iceberg where they blow glass. I watched a man blow a small vase and also a small figurine of Nessie the Loch Ness monster! It was pretty cool. I bought a small necklace of a teardrop of blown glass.


As I was walking out of the shop, I noticed the road was gone. Yep, they were bringing two yachts into the canal locks. The locks go from the end of Loch Ness up to Moray Firth. There were about six locks that I could see without walking the length of the canal. It was awesome to see the locks working and the boats moving through. The sections emptied and filled rather quickly and the locks moved quickly. For the lack of a better word, it was just neat!

Tomorrow we are going to the Isle of Skye, Loch Ness, another castle, and other places. I feel kind of grumpy and crazy like, and I think it's because I'm so tired of traveling! I just want to relax and spend time doing nothing instead of go-go-going all of the time. Oh well. I guess I can sleep when I'm old or dead. :) We tried to find a church, but there are none around here. No branches or wards anyway. We're just planning to go in Belfast next week. We did buy food for tomorrow so that we won't have to buy it on Sunday. That's a good compromise.

No comments: