Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Cat is Out of the Bag


That's right. The secret is out.

I know right now you may be thinking, "WHAT did Michelle commit to NOW?"

Chinese-English Immersion is what. That's right. I just couldn't pass it up! My current school is a dual immersion school with English/Chinese. This year there are classes of kinder and first grades that are learning Chinese. Next year, second grade will be added (that's me!), and the next year third grade will begin and so on.

What this looks like:
* SECOND GRADERS. Scary! I hope they don't cry.
* 2 classes, 28 students in each class
* 1/2 day teaching English Language Arts Core with each class
* Students are in Chinese Immersion class the other 1/2 day
* Me gaining a smorgasbord of organizational and time management skills
* More meetings than I'm already involved in
* Me getting to focus more on implementing Language Arts
* Occasionally getting to hear students sing/speak in Chinese--Cute!

What it DOES NOT look like:
* A class full of students from China (These are our regular kiddos.)
* Me speaking Chinese
* Me teaching Chinese (I don't know Chinese!)
* Me getting to extensively teach math concepts

I know that this kind of goes against me taking all these new math classes, but I was given this opportunity, and I can't say no to a challenge! Hopefully it will be a fun and challenging year. This doesn't begin until this school year ends, so the transition will be at the beginning of July. Until then, I'll try to work through my feelings of overwhelming panic and just be happy for this exciting new opportunity!


No comments: