Monday, May 5, 2008

The Write Obsession





So, I have an obsession with pens. Really, the obsession is with office supplies in general, but pens come right at the top of the list. This obsession is also common among a few of my family members, so I figure it’s an inherited thing. Ask Kevin or Michael where they are hiding their pen stash.

Why pens? I always am carrying a number of writing utensils in my pocket, whether it be a whiteboard marker, pencil, pen, or crayon (Hey, what do you expect from an elementary school teacher?). I transport them between my home, car, and class like they’re going out of style. Counting my classroom and apartment, I have no less than 8 containers that hold utensils of the writing kind. I know--it’s ridiculous!

Every once in awhile, I’ll go through them, throwing out the bad ones and keeping the good. But sometimes I save them because I think that they still could be good. It’s like I’m afraid of throwing away a pen. Funny thing is---sometimes no matter how hard I look, I can’t find one. For example, like when I’m at the bank trying to make a deposit. Everyone’s been there—digging around in your car or purse for a pen. It’s ridiculous!

My favorite type of pen is a blue ink then black. I hate red pens, and I really don’t care for colored ones either. With this obsession, you would think that I would have a set of really nice pens. Nope, not the case. I hate those, too. My favorite type of pen comes in a pack of 10 for .98 at Wal-Mart. Cheesy but true. They are ball point pens, medium, with blue or black ink. What can I say? They consistently write the best out of all the pens that I own. But for some reason . . . I can never seem to find one when I need it.

No comments: